Joely C. Rogers is a North Carolina-based food illustrator and artist who is passionate about showing the interconnection between food and culture. Her colorful artwork depicts both the beauty and uses of various foods and ingredients. She has graduate training in storytelling and writes about her artistic and culinary explorations on her blog, Cafe Joely.
Joely also has extensive knowledge of picture framing and image display. Along with her husband Mark Rogers, she co-owns Frame Destination, an online picture frame company for DIY framers. She writes about the marketing, display, and selling of art on Frame Destination’s blog.
FOOD is life. Life is ART.
I use colored pencils and digital media to create art and illustrations focused on food and ingredients. My drawings show the beauty of food, while the digitally added typography provides both practical information and commercial appeal to the viewer.
I see my finished illustrations as stories or snapshots about daily life, rather than strictly art, and it is my hope that they encourage viewers to think more deeply about the food they consume.
For inspiration, I read constantly and eat voraciously. I am also inspired by my travels, and memories of my rural upbringing where we grew our own vegetables, ate local meat and seafood, and faithfully recreated traditional recipes.
Check out my Adobe portfolio.
Follow me on Instagram to see my latest art and adventures.
7 Easy Ways to Overcome Creative Blocks from Frame Destination’s Blog – 7 Easy Ways to Overcome Creative Blocks
Ten Tips to Help You Sell More Artwork from Frame Destination’s Blog – 10 Tips For Selling More Art
Colored Pencil artwork featured in the December 2018 Guild of Natural Science Illustrators Journal article “Leaves: what they are, how they work, ways to draw” by Gretchen Halpert, MA
- Certificate in Colored Pencil Drawing (in process), London Art College, UK
- Certificate in Scientific Illustration, Scientific Illustration Distance Program
- MA in Education, University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS
- Graduate Certificate in Storytelling, University of North Texas, Denton, TX
- BA in Psychology, Columbia College, Columbia, MO
- Baking and Pastry Coursework, El Centro College, Dallas, TX
Past Employment/Opportunities/Special Studies in Food and Wine:
- Baker, Aphrodite Divine Confections, Dallas, TX
- Pastry Cook, Fairmont Hotel Dallas, Dallas, TX
- Featured Pastry Chef, Great River Road Food and Wine Festival, Natchez, MS
- Pastry Apprenticeships at The Mercury and Ferre Restaurant in Dallas, TX
- Baker/Instructor of Decadent Delights and The Blue Magnolia Cooking School in Dallas, TX
- Oenology and Viticulture studies in the United States, Canada, France, and Portugal
- Herbalism studies at the Herbal Academy of New England
- Mead Honey Wine Apprenticeship, Dallas, TX
Honorable Mention for “Blue Crab” mixed media artwork featured in J. Mane Gallery’s EAT! International Online Juried Art Exhibition
International Grand Prize Winner of the “Sandeman Perfect Partners Recipe Contest” sponsored by Chocolatier magazine and Sandeman Port
Recipe: Bittersweet-Glazed Chocolate Doughnuts with a Spiced Tea Creme Anglaise
2nd place – Restaurant Design Competition sponsored by El Centro College
Type of restaurant designed: “The Sugar Shack” – a dessert, wine and cocktail bar
1st place – Mother’s Day Dessert Contest sponsored by the Fairmont Hotel of Dallas.
Recipe: Chocolate Ancho Chile Oil Tart with Republic Tea Chai Ice Cream
Joely C. Rogers, MA
Food Illustrator | Storyteller